What's new for today's kitchen?
Many new kitchens feature a streamlined look, with large window expanses with fewer wall cabinets.
- Open shelving is popular for those who want items within reach
- Professional-style appliances such as free-standing stainless steel gas ranges, the trend for years, are being swapped for sleek induction cook tops paired with double wall ovens
- Under-counter options are increasingly prominent, with drawers that double as refrigerators, wine storage and even a pullout microwave
- For faucets, the convenience of a pullout model is a desired feature, as are pot fillers
- Brushed nickel is the leading finish option, followed by pewter, polished chrome and oil-rubbed bronze
- French door and bottom freezer drawer refrigerator models continue to dominate the market
- Healthy living is also a strong trend, with more kitchens featuring steam ovens, induction cooking and warming drawers to keep nutritious dinners ready for active family members